Editorial comment: As an aspiring web publisher you will be asking yourself about web hosting features. Here is an article to help you understand enough about web hosting, and get you started online.
What is web hosting?
A web host is a company that manages computers over the Internet, and web hosting leases disk space on those computers to store the files that make up your website. There is a computer in a data center on which your files are stored, and the computer will present the web pages of your website to visitors. It goes without saying that if you have a website, you will need web hosting.
What are the most important features in a web host?
Different web hosting companies offer different sets of features, and usually at various price points. What matters most is the amount of disk space you get and the amount of bandwidth they offer you. The more disk space you have the larger you can make your website. Some web hosts allow you to host more than one website on a single web hosting account, and in this case the amount of disk space will play a large role. Bandwidth refers to the amount of data that is transferred to and from your website. You want to make sure you have enough bandwidth to display your website to all the visitors you expect to get. Sometime a web hosting company will offer unlimited bandwidth, but read the fine print carefully because there is usually a catch, often the terms of service restricts the kind of data you transfer. For example you may not be allowed to use audio or video on your website.
Other features to look for in a web hosting account include the web host Windows, Unix or Linux based, script compatibility, the number and type of databases, the type of control panel and number and type of email accounts. The operating system of the server will determine what software you can use on your website. The software programs you use on your website is often referred to as scripts. Not all web hosts are compatible to all scripting languages, like Perl, PHP and others. The scripts you want to use on your website often require a database to manage the operation of the script, so you will need a compatible database. You will usually be able to create multiple email addresses using your own domain name.
Web Hosting Made Easy & Affordable
Now that you have decided what you want to accomplish with your website, I will recommend a web hosting company that offers you the features and options you need.
Start Your Website With HostGator Today!
HostGator is one of the world’s top 10 largest webhosting companies because of the excellent service you get for the affordable price you pay for your web hosting solution. With monthly pay-as-you-go hosting plans, I recommend that you try out HostGator without committing to an annual plan. With no setup fees or other catches, you can get your site online today for under $10.
Their premium customer support 24/7 you can be assured your questions and issues will be taken care of in a timely manner. Phone, live chat, and a ticket system are all available for your use along with over 500 video tutorials and over 680 help articles.
HostGator gives me a vast array of tools to take my idea or business online today! From site building tools and templates, to one-click application installer, everything I need to launch a website is literally at my fingertips.
With the QuickInstall tool, available on every Web Hosting plan, I can create virtually any type of website: blog, forum, CMS, wiki, photo gallery, E-commerce store, and so much more! Since HostGator runs on Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP, thousands of existing applications and software are compatible.
HostGator offers web hosting made easy and affordable! I use the HostGator ‘Baby’ Plan for all my websites. And what is great about this Plan is that it allows me Unlimited Domains, One-Click Installs, and Unmetered Bandwidth.
Diskspace and Bandwidth is “Unmetered” which means I am not charged according to the amount of diskspace or bandwidth I use, subject to full compliance with HostGator Terms of Service and to only utilize disk space and bandwidth in the normal operation of a personal or small business website.
Why WordPress Hosting?
- WordPress is perfect for bloggers and developers!
- WordPress Hosting is one of the most widely-used building platforms in use today.
- WordPress is an excellent tool for almost any site, whether you want to start a simple blog or develop an entire website.
- WordPress is User-Friendly – it is one of the most intuitive CMS platforms in existence. You can easily create a beautiful website with zero coding knowledge.
- WordPress is Customizable – The amount of free plugins and themes is virtually endless. WordPress is supported by a huge global community.
- WordPress is Elegant – WordPress embraces simplicity with an easy-to-use dashboard interface that allows for maximum usability.
- HostGator is one of the world’s top 10 largest web hosting companies with more than 8,000,000 hosted domains. They have over 850 employees to offer superior around the clock support. They are the perfect choice whether you are looking for business, personal, or even Fortune 500 hosting.
- WordPress Hosting offers the latest cPanel Control Panel, Website Statistics(AWStats, Webalizer, Raw Log Manager, Referrer and Error Logs), Instant Shopping Carts, Blogs, Portals, Forums, Counters, and Formmail, Password Protected Directories and Custom Error Pages, and Web Based File Manager, Hotlink Protection, IP Deny Manager, Redirect URL.
- WordPress Hosting offers Email Features: Unlimited POP3 Email Accounts with SMTP, WebMail Access: Horde, SquirrelMail, RoundCube, Receive your email to your phone via IMAP Support, Prevent spam with SpamAssassin, and Unlimited Autoresponders, Mail Forwards, Email Aliases, 25 Mailing Lists.